Although one of my main focuses is on sustainable weight-loss, for some people – being underweight or having difficulty gaining weight can be just as disappointing as being overweight. I have heard some crazy ways on how some people have tried to gain weight, so I want to break it down simple on how one gain weight without causing harm to their body.
1. Increase nutrient-dense calories from protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats. Focus on eating healthy and nutrient dense foods. Increasing your healthy fats is especially great for those with decreased appetite as these are calorically dense. (Example: 2 tbsp of nut butter + 2 tbsp of hemp seeds = 300 calories) Its small subtle changes, you will definitely feel fuller, but with time your body will adjust to more calories. Remember foods high in carbohydrates often have less calories than foods higher in fat.
2. Focus on gut health – Gut health is so important. About 90% of nutrient absorption takes place in the small intestines. If you are not absorbing the nutrients you are taking in, it will be very hard to gain weight. If your gut is recked you need to focus on repairing it. (Check out my gut health post for a free gut health guide)
3. Limit cardio workouts when trying to gain weight and focus on strength training movements, allowing an optimal environment for building muscle and healthy weight. Cardio training is important for your cardiovascular health, but in all honesty don’t over do it if your trying to gain weight. Cardio workouts have a way of suppressing your appetite and so does high intensity workouts, so try avoid those and stick to slow yet heavy strength training movements. Make sure you get in good amounts of protein to support your muscles, remember the more muscle you have the hungrier you’ll be.
4. Reduce overall stress loads – People react to stress in different ways, but many undergo a shift in eating patterns – for some making food unappealing, resulting in weight loss. Make sure your managing your stress levels so that your appetite stays nice and high, its terrible to have to force feed yourself.
5. Add a protein shake – if your battling to eat in the mornings, try having a protein shake that will stimulate your metabolism. Fasting all morning can blunt your appetite through out the day so we need you to eat something within 30min of waking to kick start the metabolism and get it reviving for the day.
Tried these, and still stuck? – get in touch for a consultation so we can get you on the right plan.